Saturday, November 27, 2004

FW: Standalone is not a dirty word. And requiring Administrative Rights is a deal buster. (from: Dave Burke)


I was discussing the differences between Windows and Web architecture with
Management today for a new client application opportunity. I've been making
references to Smart Client architecture in various conversations with him
for months. Today he stopped me mid-stream and after a pause said, “You're
talking about the difference between a Standalone application and the Web.“
And he understood me for the first time. Personally, I've not heard the
term “Standalone Application“ for quite some time, but that's how he can
understand the Smart Client verses Web Forms debate. We in IT, in our
obsession to use the latest buzz terms do ourselves a disservice when we
expect business decision makers to think in our constructs. This extremely
savvy business executive I talked to today cannot care about ClickOnce or
running applications in a disconnected state until he has an image in his
head of what a Smart Client is. And I'm down with “Standalone” if it does
the job, baby. It implies a top heavy, non-connected architecture, but only
an elitist doofus would have a problem with the word if it makes the sale.
...More

Related...
ww.kunal.org%2fscoble%2farchives%2f2004_11.html>

http://www.kunal.org/scoble/archives/2004_11.html